Political correctness touches all areas of life, including childlessness. Friends and relatives who know we’re touchy about not having kids may struggle to say the “right thing” or avoid the subject altogether. Some just say stupid things that make us want to strike them.“Guess you don’t like kids, huh?” “Lucky you, free to do whatever you want.” “You can always adopt.” “Dump the bum and marry someone else.” “You don’t know; you never had a baby.” Know what I mean?
But there are some things we childless folks also avoid saying, things that we think and feel but don’t dare say out loud because then it would look like we’re selfish, we don’t really want kids, or we’re just nasty, trivial people. Have you ever felt like saying any of these?
* I hate you for having children and grandchildren when I don’t get to have them.
* I hate my husband (wife) for not giving me kids.
* My body looks better than yours, ha ha.
* Thank God we didn’t pass on his nose or my butt.
* I’m glad I don’t have to worry about having a child with a birth defect.
* I hate being around whiny kids.
* I have no idea how to take care of a baby.
* Thank God I didn’t have children with HIM.
* My mom had no life; I don’t want that.
* I’m terrified of pregnancy and childbirth.
* Sometimes I’m glad I don’t have children.
* My God, that baby is ugly.
I’m sure I will think of more. Can you add some unexpressed thoughts of your own to the list? Please don’t anyone take offense. We can be honest here, right? Has anyone not thought some of these things?